A Man in North Carolina Died Because Of Brain-Eating Amoeba

A Man in North Carolina Died Because Of Brain-Eating Amoeba

A brain-eating amoeba has killed a man in North Carolina who was swimming at a water park.

The victim, Eddy Gray, acquired sick and died after swimming at the Fantasy Lake Water Park on July 12, in line with CNN affiliate WTVD.

His family has requested “for privacy and respect throughout this difficult time,” his wife’s lawyer, Justin Plummer, advised the station.

Naegleria fowleri often called the brain-eating amoeba, caused Gray’s death, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services mentioned in a press release.

The single-celled organism is discovered when freshwater has higher temperatures and lower levels, typically throughout extended durations of heat, the department mentioned. It could cause its victim’s severe headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting, which progress to a stiff neck, seizures, and coma.

Nevertheless, it’s not infectious when the water when swallowed. The fatality can come when it’s in forced up the nose from summer activities such as diving and water-skiing.

From the nose, the CDC says, the organism travels up to the brain where it destroys tissue.

“Our sympathies are with the family and loved ones,” mentioned State Epidemiologist Zack Moore, M.D. “Individuals should be aware that this organism is present in warm freshwater lakes, rivers and hot springs throughout North Carolina, so be mindful as you swim or enjoy water sports.”

The park is working with local health officials to inform and educate folks about the presence of the amoeba.

In the region where the infection is more common, officials suggest holding your nose shut or utilizing a nose clip as well as avoiding digging up sediment in shallow areas.

Nina Gallagher

Nina Gallagher

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *